Friday, May 17, 2013

Chemo Treatment #1


Yesterday I had my first chemo treatment. Yes, I was not planning on having it for another week, but I am slowly learning that plans change quickly for cancer treatments. And on the bright side, it was probably a good thing not to have to wait and worry about starting chemo. If you have to do something you really don’t want to, why not get it over with quickly.

The thing was that I had originally been told to expect chemo a couple of weeks after my surgery. I took that to mean that I might start yesterday, but when I called to make the appointment last week they just told me that it was a normal appointment. I even asked, “Is this going to be a chemo treatment?” The nurse said that the doctor always waits three weeks after surgery to start chemo. Imagine my surprise then when the person drawing my blood says that she is leaving in the needle for my treatment. I was not sure I was hearing her right, but she rechecked the computer and told me sure enough there was a treatment scheduled for me after I saw the doctor. I was so shocked! I had been a little paranoid the last week that chemo might be able to start this week. My surgery was tiny and healing quickly. And then the surprise at finding it was true!

When I talked to the doctor, she did indeed clear me for chemo, but she said that I did not have to do it yesterday. She said my choices were yesterday, today, or next week. The thing was my brain was screaming never and that was not a possibility. :o) So after talking it over with Darren, we decided to go for it. After all I actually got a full night’s sleep the night before starting chemo. How else was I going to get that? Yes, it was a surprise but now I’m happy to have it out of the way.

So far, I am feeling good. The infusion went well with no problems. They gave me an anti-nausea drug first that is long acting, so that is awesome. This morning I just had a little nausea but nothing bad. I am told that this is my good day, and later this weekend I will start feeling more crummy. This is my first time through this, so we shall see. Thanks for the prayers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment