Wednesday, March 5, 2014

You can Trust God!

One year ago tomorrow I heard the words “You have cancer” again for the second time in that many years. The anniversary of my first diagnosis is next week, but whose keeping track? :o) Let me tell you though that it feels good to be on this side of all the tests and treatments! It feels great to have no pathology reports to be waiting on the results for! And I owe it all to God!

When you are going through a trial, whatever it is, you feel like you are going to break. Like the stress of the situation is going to cause you to implode and all that will be left is a little pile of dust. You feel like nothing good can come out of this and nothing good will ever happen again. You cannot see around, over, or under the trial. And you know that your only choice is to go through it. And you are scared.

What the whole situation boils down to though is this one question: Can I trust God?  Can I trust Him to help me through this? Can I trust Him that He really loves me and would only allow me to go through this if there was a good reason? And the answer to the question is a million times YES!

I caught the end of a new show on Discovery this past week. It followed rock hunters as they looked for rare gems. I can’t really say one way or another if the show is good or not.  I didn’t watch much of it. I just stopped on it because it caught my eye. The rock hunters in this episode were buying rubies. I had never before seen rubies right from the ground. I was surprised to see how dull they were. They weren’t even very red.


The show went on to explain that it takes a good eye to be able to see the potential in these rocks. There is a lot of risk involved too. These dull rocks must be fired in high temperatures in a very special process to get the jewels we know. If the temperature is off slightly, all you get is dust. There is no going back. It is an all-or-nothing gamble. And of course the show only showed the end product that was beautiful, gorgeous, brilliant red rubies.

The show got me to thinking though. I wonder how many times it took to get it right? Did the jeweler start with a little rock first to test the flame? Did he use it as his “throw away”? He saw the potential in the rocks, but he had no guarantee that he would reap it. There was an element of risk and uncertainty.

When we go through trials, we feel like we are going through the fire. We feel like there is a lot of risk and uncertainty. We feel like we could end up damaged beyond repair. And we may feel kind of like an experiment. But God is not the jeweler! The difference between the two is huge. They both see potential in the unfired rock that is true, but with God we are not an experiment. There is no risk! He knows the outcome before the trial even begins. He can be completely trusted to get you through the trial.

And He never makes a mistake. Never! You might feel like a small useless rock that is worthless. You might not see your potential but God does! When He looks at you He can see what you are going to be! Isn’t that awesome! And with the first and last of us He gets it right. The fire will never be so hot that it destroys us. He knows what He is doing! He really does! And you can trust Him!

That is one thing that I have learned over and over during these last two years. I can trust God. He will never leave me. He loves me.


You can trust God too! I promise. No better yet He promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment