Friday, November 22, 2013

Health update and Prayers for those affected by tornado


Washington's tornado
I have been meaning to update my blog all week, but the words have not come to me. What can you say that hasn’t already been said about the terrible destruction from Sunday’s tornado that plowed a path through Washington. For those of you who don’t know I live in Eureka, Illinois. Our neighboring town, where my sister lives is Washington. Washington is one of those typical Illinois small towns – easy to love and a great place to raise a family. Now it is not so typical. Now it has a huge scar running down its center. 

Praise the Lord though that only one life was lost! Praise the Lord that my sister’s family and even her house are fine! 

Today I drove over to Washington to go to Walmart. I have been avoiding this trip all week. I even thought of just going to another town for my stuff, but I wanted my first trip through town to be without my kids. To see just a little bit of the destruction in person was heart breaking. My heart goes out to all the people who lost homes. Please continue to pray for them. They have a long, hard road ahead of them.


Health update
I am feeling much better. I am feeling a little stronger every day. I have much to be thankful for. I realized this today when I was running up the stairs to get something. I can again run up the stairs! I am not anemic anymore. My leg muscles do not burn anymore because of the effects of chemo. I even have hair on my head and have started going without a hat! Yes, it is really short. Shorter than any hairstyle I would choose, but I have decided to be OK with it. And a positive is that I’m loving how quickly it can be styled. :o) Guys really do have it much easier than women at least in this area!

My body is healing and hopefully soon all I will be left with are just the scars – reminders of this struggle and also of God’s hand of protection during this time. God has taken good care of me! He really has! Thanks so much for all the prayers!

“So what happens next?” “Are you done?”

 I get those questions a lot. Yes, I guess I am done in a lot of ways. It seems weird to me to say that. This has been a long year. I have been in fight mode for so long that it seems weird to just stop. I don’t know if that makes sense or not, but in a way fighting cancer has become a way of life for me. I now have to start getting back to normal. 

I did see my oncologist last week.  All appears to be fine right now. I am kind of in the watching and waiting phase now I guess. I will see her again in three months. At that time I will have another PET scan. Of course the goal of this PET scan is to be totally clear. My first PET scan done right after my biopsy showed a little blip right at the sight of the recurrence. The radiologist said that it could easily have been caused by the recent surgery. This repeat scan will just be verifying that. I am also leaving in my port until then. My doctor doesn’t seem too concerned about my next PET scan. It is more of a precaution. I am not too worried about it right now either. I’m sure when it gets closer I will be a little nervous, but I know I’m in good hands. And I’m trying to remind myself daily of this fact. 

None of us know what the future holds. We think we do. We plan and go about our lives, but sometimes things happen to mess up our plans. Whether it is a tornado or cancer. But no matter what God is still in control! 

Have a great Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment